Sunday, July 26, 2009

Chickens


Now that it is nearly eight weeks since we had the cute little chicks that so sadly turn into ugly, mean, peck the top of my foot chickens..... It is almost time to take them to meet thier maker, and my freezer. I am gearing up for the one day blitze of taking them to the amish lady that will "deal" with them, so I can pick them up and have them clean and in a cooler. But then I will be cutting, cooking, baking and deboning a lot of chicken. Hopefully, Brenda will be able to help a great deal, but then she gets her breaks... claims of needing to nurse Jamie, change Jessica, stop Jacob from painting my house with mud etc. All in all, I would rather be stirring a pot of chicken broth... than trying to explain to Jacob why Nanna (me) does not want to have all her plants pulled up and stacked neatly by the kitchen door. The other nicer red hens will be happy not to have to fight beak and claw for thier food and water two times a day with the more aggressive - crazy hungery cousins. I am anxious to have just my six (yes I know there were eleven.... another story) red hens to mature and get ready to lay me some eggs in about six months. Next spring we are going to get a more exotic mix of hens from a farm in Iowa... I know! exciting! Then we will get our usual white, ugly, chickens that make you hate them and love them in the freezer chickens. Oh, Why then the ugly chickens? Well, you all know how you cannot compare a garden tomato to a grocery store tomato? Well the same is true for the home grown chicken. So much more "chicken-ey" flavor... and you know what they were brought up in, and fed etc. The cost is about the same as any other organic, free range chicken that you would buy, but I get about 8 pounds of chicken for that price, not just 3 -4 pound chickens... Craig wants me to get some turkeys next year... I think that would be fun.

No comments: